After reviewing the module for this week and thinking about what is worth learning, I have concluded that anything to be learned is worth learning. I think that people try to put learning in a box and decide what should be learned and what should not, but the possibilities for learning are endless. To learn something new, one must take a journey outside of their comfort zone or take a step outside of their prior learning to gain a new perspective. One can also learn from past experiences and mistakes to try something different that might work better than before. No matter the subject or topic, learning can open a new world of ideas and thinking. Maybe if we took the time or were allowed the opportunity to learn more things then maybe we would be able to see things from more perspectives. Maybe we would be able to find that we are more alike than different. Maybe we would be able to embrace the differences we do have more freely with no shame. Something that stood out to me in the module was on the power point about hidden curriculum. There was a quote that read “many important civic concepts- what power and authority are, how one should behave, who people are, what gender, class and culture mean- are learned most powerfully through the hidden curricula and through the conventions and assumptions imbedded in language and culture.” We never know what school has taught us until we really sit back and think about what we have learned. When I take a step back and think about what I have learned in school, it is more than just material taught form Math, English, Science, and Social Studies. We are shaped as students by what is presented to us and what is not presented to us. There can be a lot that is learned from the curriculum that is taught in school. I have learned so much from what I have been presented with and I am grateful for it. But there is also much to be learned from what is not found in the textbooks.
Comments
Post a Comment