When it comes to discussing issues that matter, it may seem difficult because it is something we are not used to doing. In our society, we do not really talk about things that are considered taboo. Topics like race, politics, and religion are seen as touchy subjects because they make people feel uncomfortable. One golden line that I found this week was the question “what if these conversations are not actually difficult, but simply unpracticed?” This quote really made me think. The only way we become comfortable with things is to practice them. Therefore, to be able to have what are considered uncomfortable conversations, we have to start having them. This is something that I know will be a struggle for me, but I know I have to do not only for my benefit but for the benefit of my students. If I start trying get comfortable with these conversations now, I will be able to better guide my students when the time comes. Even if I have these conversations and they become more comfortable, that does not mean that they will never be uncomfortable again. It just means that we have to never stop having these types of critical conversations. I think that to start we must be willing to be vulnerable. We have to be willing to go into the conversation with our real and authentic ideas and experiences and be willing to hear the same from others regardless of if it aligns with our own. We also must know that from these conversations may not always have a solution. What matters is that we talk. By talking we can be able to see other’s perspectives. When we see other perspectives of touchy subjects, then we can understand the subject more. The more we learn, the more we know.
Comments
Post a Comment